Vintage Trans Am

The place for On Road

Moderators: JasonC, Mike, Chris Adams, michael

Vintage Trans Am

Postby Sharpie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am

All of the rules and specifications below are copied directly from the U.S. Vintage Trans Am R/C Racing Series web page.
Click here to see the USVTA web page ---> http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

NEW RULES EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2010.
Rules updated 9.10.2012. All rules subject to change and expansion should need arise.

It is highly suggested that all indoor carpet tracks use these rules exactly as they are written with no deviations. Please try to keep it consistent and fair for everyone who may attend your track from around the country.

Trans Am Class Rules and Specifications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Body Specifications:
Late '60s to early '70s American pony car Vintage Trans-Am bodies only.
Note: Any 2-seat sports car (like the '67 Corvette Stingray) or any non-American built car (like the DeTomaso Pantera) does not fall under the American pony car category.

Bolink part numbers:
BL2262 '68 Chevrolet Camaro
Also known as RJ Speed Part # BOL2262

BL2263 '65 Ford Mustang
Also known as RJ Speed Part # BOL2263

HPI part numbers:
17510 - 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda
7494 - 1968 Chevrolet Camaro
17531 - 1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28
17546 - 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (scale wing ok)*
105106 - 1970 DODGE CHALLENGER BODY
*Note* For the (3) HPI Mustangs which are not provided with a spoiler: (i.e. 17508, 17519 and 104926)
A lexan spoiler of 16mm total height from trunk deck, and overall chord of 20mm is allowable. All other bodies must use the spoiler included with that specific body set. Built in spoilers may not be enhanced.
* 17508 - 1965 Ford Shelby GT-350
* 17519 - 1966 Ford Mustang GT
* 104926 - 1966 FORD MUSTANG GT COUPE BODY

Parma part numbers:
10143 - 1969 Z28 Camaro
10141 - 1970 Boss Mustang
10113 - 1970 'Cuda

Pegasus Hobbies part numbers:
PGH4001 - 1970 Camaro SS
PGH4002 - 1970 'Cuda
PGH4003 - 1970 Mustang

Protoform part numbers:
#1526 - J71

McAllister Racing part numbers:
#286- 1969 Mustang body

Wings or Spoilers: Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings). No additional skirts or raised/extended wings or air control surfaces allowed. Body must be trimmed at body trim lines. Full rear bumper required. It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon. All cars must have a number on the hood, both doors and trunk lid. Wheel covers of any type are NOT allowed.

Driver Figures: All cars must include a driver figure consisting of at least a head and shoulders. Here are some examples of driver figure part numbers (ANY suitable 1/10 driver figure is legal - these are readily available examples)

HPI
#104815 INNER BODY SET FOR DT-1 TRUCK BODY

Associated
6180 Driver, unpainted, 1:10

McAllister
#423 Stock Interior and Driver
#419 SPRINT CAR DRIVER

Tire & Wheel Specifications:
The only tires allowed are HPI tire part #4793 "front" and #4797 "rear", using stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. All other tires and/or part numbers are illegal. Wheels and tires designated as "front" must be used as front tires/wheels, "rear" wheels/tires must used as rears. Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors. 0mm offset front wheels and 6mm offset rear wheels are intended for 26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car wheels from #3854 through #3860, Vintage Wheel CC Type #33472 and #33473, Vintage Wheel DTP Type #33474 and #33475 are all legal wheels.

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.

Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only. Any era or brand 4wd chassis is allowed.

Gear Ratios: Note: There is no gear ratio limitation in VTA. If you need a recommendation, a 4.0 FDR is a good place to start. An Excel spreadsheet gear ratio and final drive ratio calculator for most touring car chassis is available here.

Motor Specifications:
Only two types of 25.5 brushless motors (powered by 2-cell LiPo battery) are allowed: Novak SS25.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3425V) or Ballistic 25.5 (pn:3625V- stator only pn:S6625) ONLY combined with any hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. Novak motors are the ONLY motor allowed at this time. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Only physical motor timing advance is allowed, however Ballistic motors must not be advanced beyond the last line of the timing range sticker. 12.3 mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed). Using ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork. No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor. No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor.

Approved ESCs:
NOVAK-
Club Brushless ESC (#1852)
EDGE 2S Brushless ESC (#1850, 1851)
Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718)
GTB 2 Racing w/X-Drive (#1749)
GTB 2 Racing w/X-Drive- Low Profile (#1748)
GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1708, 1709)
GTB series part numbers: 1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers: 1732, 1733, 1735
Slyder part number: 1712
XBR (DISCONTINUED) part number:1720

LRP
A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150

SPEED PASSION
Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC part number: 12280
Reventon Stock Club Race part number: SP000048

HOBBYWING
7014 - Hobbywing XERUN Juststock Club No timing ESC - Sensored

Battery Specifications:
Battery must be a 2-cell (7.4V) LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit.

Ride Height Specification:
Minimum ride height is 5mm.

Weight Specification:
Minimum 1550g in race-ready trim.

Race Specification:
- 5 minute qualifiers.
- 8 minute mains.
- Absolutely NO IFMAR-type starts. All heats and mains should be straight-up starts, with random sorts for each heat. Non random sorts should shuffle starting order for each heat.

Optional Main Variations:
- 12-20 car A-mains, depending on car counts.
- Invert qualifying order based on random hat pull (top 6-10 cars).
- "LeMans" type starts where all cars are lined up on an angle to the racing line in order.
- Run track in reverse rotation for mains.
- Rolling starts.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule. The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.
Last edited by Sharpie on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 am, edited 19 times in total.
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Re: Let's get a VTA class started!

Postby awd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

I have considered promoting a VTA class. I have one, but I certainly do not want to dilute any of the sedan classes. As for Friday nights I would have to pass as I have other commitments.

I am not saying it won't work, I just know we need to be intentional about the classes we race. I definitely like the idea of a slower class for beginners. Even the spec 17.5 class can be intimidating for new racers. I think a more reliable way of building teh class would be to get people to race it with our regular Sunday schedule first before trying to start a new class and a new race day at the same time. Good thoughts though!
Mikeshobbyshop.com <---- Home of the ROAR 2012 Carpet Nats!!
|SpeedZone USA| Gravity RC | ReflexRacing.net |
CA-An A-main hopeful at the A-Hole Nationals
awd

Postby eryk69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

sunday is better
eryk69
Washer
Washer

Postby Squig » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

This sounds very interesting and I think it will also be attractive to newcomers and spectators. The current on road cars looks very intimidating and wicked fast. For that reason I started with off road for now, but this could be enticing. :thumbup:
Squig
Squig
Axle
Axle

Postby Sharpie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Since I have a beautiful '67 Corvette Stingray body, I asked the "VTA authorities" if they would include the Stingray body in their rules. Their answer was "the 1967 Corvette Stingray never raced in the U.S. Trans-Am series. For an idea of what cars raced in U.S. Trans Am go here --> http://www.trans-amseries.com/Roster.html
Last edited by Sharpie on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby awd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Keep in mind that some of the information on this site is more up to date than others. The list of classes listed there is at least 2 year+ old. I'm all about enticing new drivers, but there has been more than one "fad" class in the last 7 years I have raced here that eventually ended up turning more people off than attracting people. At the moment we have the most support for our 12th scale classes, and even then there are days we don't run 13.5 12th.

Best thing to do if anyone wants to race a particular class is to commit to racing it for a while and anchor the class. Practice with your car, sign up to race it, and help people you meet at the track understand the joy of your class. Get 4 guys to race with you on a Sunday routinely and after a while you'll have a "following".

FWIW I see VTA a much better option to race here than USGT for a couple reasons.

There is at least two other places that we visit or that visit us that race VTA, MSRA and MS (I have only been to 1 track where RCGT was raced and it was on the west-coast)

The wheels are already rolling for VTA here
awd

Postby David Galdo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 pm

I reviewed the rules for VTA, I have a chasis available for it but don't like having to buy a new speedo. I have the most flexible speedo, a Tekin and can't see spending money on another brand for the spec setting. Otherwise, I am right there less a body and 25.5 motor.
David Galdo

Postby Sharpie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm

I agree with David Galdo about the limited list of Speedos in VTA rules. When I spoke to Eryk and looked at his VTA car he also has a Tekin Speedo in it. I currently own a Castle Creations Mamba Pro and I really don't want to buy one of those lower grade Speedos listed in the VTA Rules. I propose that we take a vote among any drivers interested in running VTA... If everybody is OK with opening up the list of Speedos to include any ROAR approved Speedo (including Tekin and Castle Mamba Pro), then so be it.

All who agree to opening up the Speedo List say "Aye" and all who want to stick to the VTA Speedo List say "Nay".
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby Chris Adams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Ill tell you now, speedo's are open as long as you have a zero timing option.
AdAmZ PaintZ, Mikeshobbyshop, SpeedzoneUSA, Treetop Gang, RC America, Xray, Hudy, Team SR

Don't think about it, be about it. -2012 Summer Carpet Shootout Series
Chris Adams

Postby thaphillips » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Is this rubber tires on carpet?
Sold all my RC's because On Road Racing on carpet sucks.
Give me rubber and ashpalt. Carpet burns are for girls.

http://www.thapharmacyproductions.com
thaphillips

Postby idbdoug » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

thaphillips wrote:Is this rubber tires on carpet?

Yep and they have to be HPI tires part #4793 front and #4797 rear. The only on-road track local is Mike's which is carpet and an outdoor paved nitro track neat Rendon Texas
idbdoug
Losi 22
Xray T3 '12
Tamiya F104 V2
Losi 22T
Fantom Motors
Ko Propo Eurus
Team Grumpy Hollow
Flt Level 340
idbdoug

Postby David Galdo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 am

Can my driver have a blunt and dice hanging? How about a chain steering wheel...

Wow, I am guessing this was pre-mentrual... Don't want to be there during!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... JK4RbbMhgQ
David Galdo

Postby Sharpie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 am

Can my driver have a blunt and dice hanging? How about a chain steering wheel...

Yes, you can have a blunt and dice hanging, but only if your driver looks exactly like idbdoug's picture of a baby with Army helmet and cigar hanging out of his mouth! :thumbup:

I found a good deal on 1/10 scale driver figures at this web page: http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcve00023_29
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby Sharpie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 am

VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby Sharpie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey Guys, what do you think about allowing use of the 1967 Corvette Stingray body for the VTA class? It's not listed in the official VTA rules, but it fits in with the '60 - '70 Era American pony car category.
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby idbdoug » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 pm

davidw wrote:Hey Guys, what do you think about allowing use of the 1967 Corvette Stingray body for the VTA class? It's not listed in the official VTA rules, but it fits in with the '60 - '70 Era American pony car category.

As a former VTA driver at Mike's, i don't see a problem with it. Since this is club racing we need to be extremely flexible on certain points of the "official rules." The Mississippi track has allot less racers than mike's but they have enough people to form a VTA Class.
Losi 22
Xray T3 '12
Tamiya F104 V2
Losi 22T
Fantom Motors
Ko Propo Eurus
Team Grumpy Hollow
Flt Level 340
idbdoug

Postby Sharpie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a technical question about gear ratios. I have a Cyclone TC chassis and I'm trying to get an "Internal Ratio" of 2.4375. I read through my Cyclone TC manual and it says that the formula for my gear ratio is ((Spur Teeth)/(Pinion Teeth)) x 2.160. So I created an Excel Spreadsheet with all the different combinations of Spur/Pinion Gears and out of all the numbers on it the lowest is 2.970, and that's with a 88T Spur and 60T Pinion! How am I supposed to get the gear ration lower than that? Any smaller spur gears will not mount in my car. The VTA FDR calculator spreadsheet specifically says "Internal Ratio", does that mean only Spur Teeth / Pinion Teeth and no constant multiplier?
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby awd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 am

I believe you are confusing a few terms. Maybe this will help.

Internal ratio (IR) is a comparison of the layshaft pulley teeth to the spool/differential teeth. For example the TOP has a 20 tooth layshaft pulley and 40 tooth spool pulley which gives the car an internal ratio of 2.0. When determining the Final Drive Ratio (FDR) you divide your spur by your pinion and then multiply by your IR. You probably want a VTA car with a 25.5 in the 3.5-4.0 FDR range. With the 2.160 IR your manual indicates, you could use something in the neighborhood of a 88/50 to acheive a 3.8 FDR ((88/50 )*2.160) assuming you can get them to mesh. The 2.160 IR makes VTA ratios a little harder to reach.
awd

Postby Team TQ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:39 am

The internal ratio of the HB Cyclone makes it just about impossible to run that car in VTA. I thought about it long ago when VTA was first taking off and when I did the calculations to get to the required FDRs, the gearing was well outside the ranges recommended to run on the car and even if you do force it, it was hard to get the proper mesh on the gears. After that, I see why AE TC3s and Xray T2 007s are good cars to use in VTA; their internal ratios are more workable to get to the FDRs required to run in the class without putting a strain on the motor/ESC.
Jlock aka: G-Money
www.ipanemasports.com

"Its fun to do bad things!!!"

Power corrupts - Microsoft Windows corrupts absolutely!!!!
Team TQ
Chassie
Chassie

Postby Neitton » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

What about brushed motors? 27t or maybe even a mabuchi silver can?

Drew
Neitton
Chassie
Chassie

Postby idbdoug » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Team TQ wrote:The internal ratio of the HB Cyclone makes it just about impossible to run that car in VTA. I thought about it long ago when VTA was first taking off and when I did the calculations to get to the required FDRs, the gearing was well outside the ranges recommended to run on the car and even if you do force it, it was hard to get the proper mesh on the gears. After that, I see why AE TC3s and Xray T2 007s are good cars to use in VTA; their internal ratios are more workable to get to the FDRs required to run in the class without putting a strain on the motor/ESC.

You can get the necessary FDR's Schumacher Mi2's,Mi3's, and Mi4's if you have that type of car. I used to run a Mi2 in VTA.
idbdoug
Losi 22
Xray T3 '12
Tamiya F104 V2
Losi 22T
Fantom Motors
Ko Propo Eurus
Team Grumpy Hollow
Flt Level 340
idbdoug

Postby awd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I have an mi3.5 with a lifetime of parts for sale if anyone is interested.
awd

Postby Sharpie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:46 pm

I have an mi3.5 with a lifetime of parts for sale if anyone is interested.

AWD, I am interested in your mi3.5 with lifetime parts. Now I just have to come up with some $$$. I will talk to you about it when I see you at Mike's next time.
VTA and WGT
Sharpie

Postby awd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Sure thing.
awd

Postby markf3x » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Lately, my weekends are pretty much spent only doing things I can do with my kids....

I just bought Christopher (New in shrinkwrap) the best sedan ever made....... LOSI JRX-S Type R !!!!!

He's going to put it together with help on shocks, diff, soldering, etc.

I've still got a Mustang body, a 'cuda body, and I'm painting two new Camaros.
I'm ordering up two Novak 25.5 combos and some tires.

He and I are going to start driving some VTA. I suspect it will be 3 or so weeks before we have cars setup.
Let this be your warning... Will there be a race class? Who knows... But he and I will be racing regardless.

All are welcome to join us.. If you don't mind driving with a 6 year old and an old man.

Mark
----------------------------------
Worlds fastest car in the pits... On the track is a different story.
markf3x
Wheel
Wheel

Next

Return to On Road